Friday, May 30, 2008

Surgery Outcome

First, Troy and I wanted to thank all of you for your prayers and support this week with my surgery.  We have both appreciated the encouragement and the continued love we have received.

The surgery went well.  Thankfully the cyst ended up outside of my ovary, which is what we were praying for, so they only had to take the cyst.  The cyst did not burst during removal so that is good.  The oncologist did take a look at the cyst and did not seem to think there was any risk that it may be cancer but the true biopsy report will come back sometime next week.  The incision is basically like I had a c-section, just minus the baby coming out.  So, getting out of bed and going to the bathroom have been the biggest and most painful challenges.  I am taking some medicine for the pain but the medication makes me very sleepy and nauseous.  Thankfully, Troy and my mom have been here.  Troy has been helping get off and back on the couch.  It is amazing how much you really use those stomach muscles for everything.  My mom has been babysitting me during the day and cooking meals for us, which has been really nice.  Also, I am not allowed to drive, which is fine since every small bump on the way home felt like someone was tearing my stomach open, painful. 

Unfortunately, right now I am not allowed to return to work until I see the doctor, which will be on Wednesday.  The doctor told us at the hospital to plan on being out of work 4 to 6 weeks which I was surprised by and I think my work is going to want to kill me.   Wednesday, I will have to plead my case and pray that I heal quickly so I will only be out 4 weeks but I will have to be patient and see.

Baby Schenk is doing well.  Directly after surgery I was taken to recovery and the doctors were all attaching me to monitors and the nurse came up to listen for the baby’s heart beat and to check the heart rate.  I was extremely groggy but I was relieved as my doctor told me the outcome of the surgery and hearing the heartbeat was just such a relief.  My doctor and the hospital staff were amazing and so nice.  Really, I could not have asked for more.  I have never been in a hospital where each staff member I came in contact with was more than kind.  Of course I was monitored thru the night while Troy tried to sleep here and there but an interruption every hour cannot mean good sleep.  We were in very good care.  I did get to know a few nurses that I am sure I will get to see later, which will be nice.

Thanks again for all the prayers

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Here's my advice after having 2 c-sections: stand up straight and walk, walk, walk. Those muscles get used so much more than we realize. It was so painful the first few times to stand up straight, but it's better in the long run. By 4 weeks, I was doing pretty good the first time, and after 1 week, I was on my own the 2nd time! So glad the surgery went well and the cyst was removed alone. Praying that the biopsy shows no cancer. Love you guys!

Lambert Loggings said...

Praise the Lord!! Thanks for letting us know! We will continue to lift you up to the Lord for quick healing and continued safety for both of you!

Hilary said...

Praise God. I'm so glad things went well. I agree with Jenn on the standing upright thing. also tense those stomach muscles and hold them for 5 seconds several times a day. That will help get them back in order too.

Emily said...

Thanks for keeping us posted, I have been thinking about you nonstop since I heard. I will continue to uplift your recovery!