Thursday, April 7, 2011

Foster or Not to Foster?

that is the question, well at least it was.  We have been seriously mulling over the idea of foster to adopt.  The idea of it was perfect for me at first.  But then after our very long meeting/interview with a very nice lady we had to really think.  Yes, we want to adopt and yes we would be ok with going about it in this direction but and there is a big one, can Candace handle this?  Right, it comes down to me more then anyone.  Troy will get attached but not like I would.  Can I handle the information of the situation of which the child comes from and at the end when the child goes back home with  his/her family am I going to be ok knowing what that child is going back into maybe a potentiall bad situation?  The ultimate goal of this program is to reunite these children with there families which I am all for because people deserve another chance but when it comes to certain kinds of abuse I am not sure I could ever believe a person would truly change.  They might be good at hiding what they are doing but I don't think they will be changed.  So where did we end up?  Well we are in limbo and I go back and forth.  The one thing that we did talk about is being picky about the child we do take, she did mention not to take the first call we get.  That if when asked we feel the least bit uneasy to decline.  That there will always be children who need help and the right one for our family will came.  But no one has ever not taken a kid....will I be too scarred to say yes?  Hmmmm is all I can say and waiting until we feel it is right to take the next move on this.  Anyone have any thoughts that maybe helpful?

2 comments:

The Burgess family said...

Luke's parents have done foster care, maybe they'll have some insights for you (I think Judy reads your blog). All I have to say is good for you for even just thinking about this! :)

The Schenk Family said...

Thanks, a couple of people have just sent me emails with loads of information. I will take all the insight I can get.