Friday, September 25, 2009

My daughter needs a bow?

Ok as most of you know I am not a big fan of bows in Gracie’s hair. I have never been one of those moms that feel the need to put the biggest bow on her head. Plus have you meet my husband? He would not let me buy it let a lone let her out of the house like that. The only time I put bows in her hair is if they are small and usually for pictures. She takes them out before we make it to daycare and is usually trying to eat it. Over the past 10 months on numerous occasions people have called Gracie a “He”. “He” is so cute, or how old is “He”. I am always thinking seriously, “She” is wearing pink or purple or whatever but clearly this is a girl. I never think to correct people because I feel bad that she does not have a bow that screams this is a girl. I just smile and nod and tell them her name in hopes they will catch on. I have always thought if you’re not sure just say “oh your baby is cute” and let the parent then tell you what it is if you are unsure.

So, the other day some kids in the neighborhood stopped and were watching me take pictures of Gracie which usually consists of me crawling around on the ground. They too thought she was a boy and I told them it was a girl and her name. They then clearly pointed out all the reason why they should have known it was a girl. I very much appreciated the fact that they noticed all the colors. To be honest I am sure if I ever have a son, he will probably look a lot like Gracie but right now Gracie is a girl and maybe I do need to put more bows in her hair but she does not like all the extras. She won’t even wear socks and shoes. I drop her off at daycare at 8am and by 9, one shoe is in the toy box, the other on the counter, and she has already accomplished pulling her socks off, if not in the midst of it. So, sometimes the extra effort is not worth it. I guess I can only try.

Thoughts...Big Bow? Really?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I was never a bow person either. I liked the way they looked but I was WAY more concerned with my baby being comfortable than having some big thing strapped to her head. They always seemed to bother her. Andrew couldn't care less and was always telling me they were hurting her head so she never did wear many.

Now that she's a toddler we try to do clips occasionally because her hair is in her face all the time but she always pulls them out.

They have plenty of time in life for all that maintenance!

Kristen said...

She's adorable with or without bows. But I'm with you the big bows or big flowered headbands are a bit much. Though a small, simple bow looks cute. But it's probably not worth it if she doesn't like it. Plus she'll have lots of fun girly hair soon enough :)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about it, when Elijah was a baby dressed in blue and green people would tell me all the time how pretty "she was".

Jennifer said...

I've been amazed as well, how people can mistake the gender of a baby wearing obvious boy or girl colors! Who would put their baby boy in a pink flowery outfit?? I had people mistake Jacob for a girl a couple times (he's really never been girly, so that was shocking). And both times, he was wearing definite boy clothes!
Bows...I'm not one for the gigantic ones. And if she doesn't leave them in, what's the point (unless it's for pictures!)?? Like Jamie said...plenty of time for all that later! :)

The Burgess family said...

um, I heard Mya swallowed one of her barrettes recently, lol, so if Gracie won't keep a bow in I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep up the pink clothing and mentioning her girly name, like you're doing. People just do that-- assume babies are boys.

The Burgess family said...

um, I heard Mya swallowed one of her barrettes recently, lol, so if Gracie won't keep a bow in I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep up the pink clothing and mentioning her girly name, like you're doing. People just do that-- assume babies are boys.